Per a question I received on Facebook, I thought I give a few pointers on what to do if you don’t like to exercise.
I know S, as we’ll call her, made the comment “Okay now you need to teach me to like exercise!!” more as a joke. But since I’ve got some experience in this, both with myself and clients, I though I’d offer up a few strategies to, potentially, get you to liking exercise.
5 Ways to Teach yourself how to LIKE Exercise
1) exercise with a friend or group. This is one of the main reasons CrossFit has become so popular – it involves group training with creates camaraderie. And it’s important that this group or friend of yours holds you accountable and that you meet at a certain time. By the way, studies confirm that exercising with a friend or group increases ones chance of success.
2) participate in a sport. No offense to my homeboy Greg Liddle, but by sport I don’t mean Bowling. I actually fully agree that bowling is a sport, but sadly it won’t do much in the way of helping you achieve your physique goals. Instead, pick a sport that burns more Calories. For example, tennis, basketball, boxing/kick-boxing, BMX, mountain biking, road biking, running (although it’s not my fave in terms of longevity, but I’ll save that tangent for another day), surfing, skim boarding, volleyball, golf (especially if you’re as bad as me and have to chase your balls around everywhere), or even dancing.
The point is, pick up a new sport or resurrect an old one you used to do (like I recently did with BMX). You don’t have to be good at all, you just have to get moving!
3) grind it out for one month. This strategy is actually brilliant, and founded in science. We are creatures of habit. We don’t think about what we’re gonna do nearly as often as just doing what we’re used to. Where do you go after work each day? Where ever it is, you probably go out of habit. And if you’re not in the shape you want to be in, then it’s not a very good habit for your physique, evidently. The fix is simple, replace your old unproductive habit with a new, productive habit…like going to the gym.
The cool thing is, after about a month of going to the gym after work, you won’t even think about it any more…you’ll just go to the gym.
It’s all about creating the right HABITS!
4) treat yourself to a cool new iPod and fill that bad boy up with songs that energize you, and interesting audiobooks to entertain you during lower-intensity exercise. This tip right here has SAVED ME when it comes to fitness!
5) use the above 4 tips to stick to a sound fitness regime until you start to see the fruits of your labor. I’m telling you – when you start seeing your body lookin’ good in the mirror, you will not even thinking about going back to your old ways! Once you’ve been built really well, you’ll raise your standards in terms of what you’ll accept in terms of your physique’s appearance. So get in bad ass shape just once, then you’ll be hooked…THEN working out is fun :)
Hopefully you’ll find at least a couple of these tips beneficial.
If you’ve overcome “not liking to exercise,” please share your tips down below.
Your friend in fitness,